Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it easy to change one of these filters?
Yes. All of these filters can be changed by the average homeowner. Instructions are included with each filter, but you probably won't even need them. You can always contact us for help if you have trouble.
2. Do these filters have an expiration date?
No. All of the filters we sell can sit on your shelf until you need them.
3. How do I know if my fridge has a built-in filter?
Fridges with built-in water filters are usually side by side models with built-in ice and water dispensers. If you have a fridge like this then you should look for the filter in one of three places.
- Inside the refrigerator compartment hanging down from the top of the fridge. Look for cylinder shaped plastic or metal canisters.
- Inside the refrigerator compartment, some filters slide out or drop down from the ceiling of the fridge.
- Located in the grille at the bottom front of the refrigerator.
4. How do I reset my filter change indicator light?
If your refrigerator has an indicator that tells you when to change the filter, it needs to be reset when you replace the filter. Each manufacturer has different instructions for resetting the indicator.
Amana - press and hold the dispenser lock and auto light buttons on the dispenser (at the same time) for 4 seconds until the filter status indicator begins to flash, then release the buttons. On some Amana fridges you need to press the dispenser lock and water buttons for 4 seconds until the filter status indicator begins to flash, then release the buttons.
- Frigidaire - press and hold the reset button on the dispenser until the green light flashes (up to 15 seconds).
- GE and Hotpoint - press and hold the reset water filter button on the dispenser for 3 seconds.
- Maytag and Jenn-Air - press and hold the lock and light buttons (lock and water on newer fridges) on the dispenser for about 4 seconds, until the indicator light blinks.
- Whirlpool and KitchenAid - press the light switch 5 times within 10 seconds. If the fridge has a filter button, press and hold it for 5-10 seconds.
- Samsung - press the ice type and child lock buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. Note: Hold the buttons for only 3 seconds. If you press these 2 buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds, the reset function ceases. Release the buttons and repeat the same step one more time. The water filter indicator light should turn green.
- LG - press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds
5. Do I need to lubricate the gaskets on my filter?
Most of the water filters don't need any lubrication. One of the older Frigidaire models contains an o-ring for which lubrication is helpful. Some of our units come with a packet of lube. If not, the use of a small amount of vegetable oil applied to the O-ring which will ease installation and removal of the filter.
6. How tightly should I tighten the filter?
All of the filters will hit a stop when they are fully tightened. As long as you install them by hand (not using tools) you will feel the filter hit the stop and know that it is properly installed. Most of the filters only require a quarter to a half turn to tighten. However the GE unit WSG-1 requires a firmer turn to seat the O-ring seal properly. Dont be afraid to twist a little harder.
7. Do you make house calls?
Unfortunately we are unable to make house calls - but trust us, these filters are easy to install. If you do run into trouble installing one of these filters we'll talk you though it. Just give us a call at 1-866-218-8473 between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm, Pacific Time, Mon-Fri. If it's after hours, or on the weekend, please send us an e-mail.
8. What's a Cyst?
A cyst is the survivable form that parasites take on when they leave the host (you, me, your dog, etc...). The parasite goes dormant and grows a thick covering like an egg which allows it to survive in water or soil for long periods of time, and even allows it to survive the chlorine-based disinfectants typically used by the water treatment industry. The most common types of cyst that cause disease in humans are Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
These intestinal parasite cysts "hatch" when ingested by humans and cause intestinal disease. The diseases are not life threatening if treated, but can be dangerous to people with weakened immune systems.
loss of appetite
9. Do you carry the colored plastic or metal endcap that covers the filter in my grill?
The cap you are referring to covers the end of the filters located in the base grill of some Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Kenmore refrigerators. The cap is not permanently connected to the filter so you don't need to buy a new one. When you remove the old filter, simply pull the cap off and put it on the new filter.
10. Atrazine, Ethylbenzene, Lindane... what are they, and why shouldn't I be drinking them?
The filters we sell are tested by the us to remove many different contaminants.
11. Can I recycle my water filter?
We are not aware of any fridge manufacturer-supported recycling program. Dispose of your old filter just like you would a dirty air filter.